Peer Support Training
The Connect Peer Support Training Programme has been developed by Anne who has over thirty-eight years of peer support practice. It is informed by clinical practice and based on her Peer Support Manuals. However, while the core values of this Training remain the same, the structure and content are adaptable to many different settings, groups and needs. Connect Peer Support creates bespoke trainings in consultation with its clients.
Some of the key areas the Training Programme covers are:
- Effective questioning and listening skills
- Non-verbal communication
- Welcoming/ non-welcoming behaviours
- Assertive communication
- Family issues
- Cultural awareness
- Crisis awareness and suicide prevention education
- Limit-setting and referrals
For more information about Peer Support training, click here.
Training for Peer Support Trainers
This training is for professionals who are currently setting up and/or running, expanding an existing programme or would like to set up and run a peer support programme in their setting.
The course is both didactic and experiential and includes:
- Research and theory behind Peer Support Programmes
- Ideas about how a Peer Support Programme can fit into your setting
- Experiential sessions to understand the training material from both the trainer’s and the peer supporter’s perspective
- How to use feedback and facilitation skills for successful training
- Troubleshooting problematic group situations
- Top tips for successful training and supervision
- A certificate on completion of the course
The course runs as a two-, three-, or four-day course, depending on the needs of the participants and what is deemed most helpful for the group.
In addition, Connect Peer Support offers a bespoke Training for Peer Support Trainers whereby the training is run within a particular organisation and is based on the needs of the group. For example, Connect Peer Support recently ran a Training for Peer Support Trainers for the Centre for Wellbeing, University of Surrey, who are expanding their successful Vet School Peer Support Scheme to more departments, and needed to train more trainers to carry out the expansion.
Training for Peer Support Trainers August 2018
“I attended Anne’s Training for Trainers of Peer Supporters. Anne is an engaging facilitator who guided us through the training with a skilful mix of experiential exercises, information giving, thought provoking questions and the benefit of her substantial experience of facilitating training. She’s passionate about peer support and this comes through in the quality of her delivery and her presence.” Kate Brady, Senior Counsellor, Centre for Wellbeing, University of Surrey
“I had the great pleasure of being part of a training with Connect Peer Support in early 2019. It was exceptionally thorough, and I left well-equipped to begin the task of establishing a Peer Support programme in my institution. Not only did we cover the “nuts and bolts” of training peer supporters, but we also thought carefully and in detail about the difficulties we might come up against in our organisations and how we might approach them. The training cohort encompassed people from both counselling services and academic departments, and seemed equally relevant and helpful to both. Anne is an experienced, energetic and committed trainer, with a long-established relationship with Peer Support. Her dedication, belief and passion for Peer Support in universities is at the very heart of the training. I would have no hesitation about recommending this training, both in terms of the practical and informative side of establishing such a programme, but also as an exercise in self-discovery, which is attended to with delicacy and care.” Jo Myddelton, Counsellor, Birkbeck, University of London
For more testimonials click here Testimonials
Training for Peer Support Trainers – Three day training
February 5 – 7, 2020
Read Anne’s LinkedIn article on her reflections of the Training for Peer Support Trainers: You are not alone: how Training for Peer Support Trainers promotes inclusivity, belonging and connection.
Day One – Setting up Peer Support in your Institution
Expectations of the trainers’ training
Introduction to peer support
Core values in Peer Support
Peer Support Programmes – theory and practice
Key steps to setting up a peer support programme: What would a peer support programme look like in your institution and how would it function?
- Clarify aims of programme
- Needs assessment: how would peer support fit in your institution?
- Who are the key players in setting up and running a peer support programme.
Day Two – Stepping into Peer Support
- Key Steps in Peer Support – Revisited
- Confidentiality in Peer Support
- Making connections in Peer Support
- Specialised groups within peer support
- Identifying challenges in peer support
- Application of training material to your institutional needs
Day Three – Making peer support work and taking it forward
- Experiential Training Sessions
- Crisis and Suicide Prevention Education in Peer Support
- Boundaries, Limit Setting and Signposting in Peer Support
- Effective Supervision (reflective practice)
- Staying motivated: energy, stamina, passion for and belief in peer support programmes from training through to supervision
- Self-care for Peer Support Trainers
Once you are assured of funding, complete the registration form below. Connect Peer Support will send out information about how to pay for your place, once you have sent in your form. The deadline for registration is 15 January 2020.
For more information or to register, please complete the form below:
For further information on Peer Support training, click here.
Connect Peer Support incurs expenses prior to the course, which makes it necessary to put in place the following cancellation policy:
- For cancellations received on or before 5 June 2019, Connect Peer Support will refund 80% of the total registration cost
- No refunds will be given after 6 June 2019
- All cancellations must be sent by email to email@example.com with the subject line “Cancellation”
- No-shows are liable for the full conference fee